Bharat Biotech declairs Covaxin phase III trial results: All you need to know
Bharat Biotech’s home made Covid-19 vaccine, Covaxin, has shown an effective result of 81% in late-stage of clinical trial. on Wednesday.
The DCGI (Drugs Controller General of India) shown green flag to Covaxin in January “only for restricted use in an case of emergency”. Huge backlash followed as the vaccine had yet not completed Phase III trials.
Bharat Biotech has collected data from all three phases of trials. Based on which the company said involved as many as 27,000 subjects. The largest Covid-19 vaccine trial held in India.
Here is the points you need to know about Covaxin phase III trial
- The whole virion inactivated Covid-19 vaccine applicant demonstrated an interim vaccine efficacy of 81 per cent in its phase III clinical trial.
- The phase III study had 25,800 participants between 18-98 years of age group.
- The applicants included as many as 2,433 over the age of 60 and 4,500 with comorbidities.
- This analysis is totally based on 43 different cases from Covid-19 patients who have showed symptoms ranging from mild to moderate and severe.
- From total cases 36 from Placebo group
- 7 are from who received the vaccine.
Why phase III trial results are crucial
Bharat Biotech’s Covid-19 vaccine has already faced many criticism from population. And was also faced denial by many healthcare workers due to lack of trial data. Hope the phase III trial results gonna boost public confidence in the owned developed Covaxin.
The positive result will also loght up prospects for sales overseas, with the vaccine, India’s first successful home-made Covid-19 shot. Company claimed more than 40 countries have shown interest in Covaxin.
Effective against Covid-19 strains; reduces vaccine wastage’
The analysis from the National Institute of Virology indicates that vaccine-induced antibodies can
Oxford-AstraZeneca’s Covishield trial results
Trial results of the Covid-19 vaccine made by Oxford-AstraZeneca, named as ‘Covishield’, was reported in December 2020.
Result shown as, this Covishield vaccine in 70 per cent cases it protects from symptomatic disease – with vaccine efficacy is 62 per cent for applicants take two full doses, and of 90 per cent to those taken half then a full dose.